Culture & interesting sights
The ski pistes, cycle trails and discos in Ischgl are world famous. Yet in addition to these, there is also a broad cultural offer, which is proving increasingly popular.
Museums around Ischgl – providing a deeper understanding of the region
- The Mathias Schmid Museum is situated on the periphery of the village and the forest in Ischgl. From here visitors get a wonderful view to Ischgl and the Verwall mountain group opposite. This impressive building which has a hipped roof doesn’t just house exhibits, it is also a place of remembrance to a Paznaun artist. The works of Mathias Schmid (1835 to 1923) reflect life in the mountains; the daily life of the mountain farmers in an environment so full of privations. The educational Mathias Schmid artists’ trail also starts at the museum and this runs from Ischgl to Mathon and Galtür. Numerous information boards along the route provide information about this famous artist.
- The agricultural museum in Mathon provides an exciting insight into the life of the mountain farmers in the Paznaun region. Regional specialities can also be sampled in the old snug.
- The Silvretta Seilbahn AG Museum reveals the impressive history of the business. There are lots of pictures and original items spanning from its inception in 1963, to the contemporary present-day.
Churches and chapels around Ischgl – places of contemplation which enjoy a long tradition
The wonderful chapels are other sights to visit in Paznaun. These idyllic buildings masterfully fit in to this landscape, which is unspoiled. Most of the chapels can be reached via romantic hiking trails.
- St. Nicholas parish church in Ischgl is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra. A precursor church stood here since 1443. In the middle of the 18th century the current church was built in a Gothic style. The Rococo altars are impressive, as is the Rococo stucco work made from entwined leaves. The centrepiece is the silver arm reliquary of St. Stephanus. A man from Ischgl took this from the Eiffel in 1794. The church was renovated in 1972/73.
- The pilgrimage chapel ‘Sieben Schmerzen Mariä’ in Unterpardatsch (1676) is located in an idyllic forest glade on the old road into Fimbertal. It was built by Ischgl landlord Christian Zangerl. In the centre of the chapel is a picture the Virgin Mary possessing miraculous powers, by Josef Schöpf from Telfs (1745 to 1822).
- Annakapelle near Bodenalpe has stood since 1610. It is the oldest documented of the chapels in Paznaun today. The simple building which has a ridge turret adorns an altarpiece from the 2nd half of the 17th century.
- In contrast Martha Chapel was first inaugurated on 28th July 1995. An initiative made up of women in the hamlet of Ischgl-Innerversahl had been appointed for many years to get it set up. Thanks to donations from citizens and local companies, building began in June 1994. The altar is decorated with a group of carved figures, Jesus with Mary and Martha, created by Josef Jehle from Kappl. The colourful, leaded window was created by Ischgl’s artist-teachers Paul Zangerl, Bernhard Walser and Andreas Salner.
- Maria Schnee chapel in Pasnatsch is the biggest in the parish of Ischgl. It was built in 1643 and extended in 1708. The splendid high altar deserves particular attention. The richly carved pieces of art which date from around 1660 are attributed to Baroque sculptor Michael Lechleitner from Grins. The rectangular oratory is decorated with a coffered ceiling with carved decorations.
- The Heilige Dreikönigskapelle was built in 1818. Stucco work decoration can be seen here above the triumphal arch, as can the round-arched windows and a Madonna statue by Michael Lechleitner which dates from the 17th century.
- The Mariahilf Chapel was built in 1676; its current form was achieved during its renovation in 1793. A curved façade on the gable side characterises the exterior of the chapel. While the interior houses an altar with figures from Josef Georg Witwer’s workshop.
- The exemplary restoration of Antious Chapel in Versahl in 1981 is representative of chapels typical to the Paznaun region. It was built around 1630 in honour of St. Antonius of Padua as a plague chapel and extended in 1673. The high altar and galleries have kept the form of Paznaun furniture dating from the 17th century. The show piece of the furnishings is a Pietà by sculptor Johann Ladner.
- The Totenkapelle zum Heiligen Luzius was built in 1773 and reveals a delightful little black Rococo altar. Franz Hosp from Imst carved the four holy figures Edmund, Aloysius, Stefanus and Laurentius. The altarpiece and the upper altar piece were painted by Christian Miller from Imst. There is a precious Pietà by Jakob Auer (around 1700) on the altar mensa.
- The Kapelle zum Heiligen Gallus on Alpe Oberpardatsch in Fimbertal was built in 1793 on the site of a small chapel built in 1736. Among others, an altar piece by Anton Schueller from around 1760 can be seen.
Concerts in Ischgl – intellectual sustenance in a special atmosphere
In Ischgl’s parish church performances by music greats from the region are regularly held. From Bach cantatas to organ concerts, right the way through to convivial recital evenings, it’s all on offer. There is also a great opportunity to learn about the original culture of the Alpine region.